Turns out I was mistaken about the requirements for an independent study I took this quarter. I thought I was on the hook to write a term paper, but the weekly work I had been assigned was intended to cover the requirements. So that makes for a less stressful end of the quarter (and more time for GSoC!).
Hrm...had a brownout this morning and now the Linux machine I had set aside for GSoC seems to be missing some things..like the ability to use its network card. :/ Hopefully it's a software problem that won't take long to fix.
Update: Bah, our router apparently doesn't like doing the DHCP job any more, so I just manually set the IP address. At least everything seems to work ok with that.